The story of Marvin Heemeyer and his infamous bulldozer rampage in Granby, Colorado, has captured public fascination and curiosity for years. However, what happened to the bulldozer he used during that incident? In this article, we delve into the aftermath and trace the journey of Marvin Heemeyer’s bulldozer, exploring its current whereabouts and the various events that transpired following the destructive rampage.
- The Incident: Marvin Heemeyer’s bulldozer rampage occurred on June 4, 2004, when he heavily modified a Komatsu D355A bulldozer, turning it into an armored machine fortified with layers of steel and concrete. Heemeyer then went on a destructive spree, targeting several buildings in the town of Granby before ultimately taking his own life.
- Seizure and Investigation: After the rampage, law enforcement authorities gained control of the bulldozer. The heavily damaged machine was confiscated as evidence and subjected to a thorough investigation to determine the sequence of events and motives behind Heemeyer’s actions.
- Public Display: Following the investigation, there was public interest in viewing the bulldozer that had caused such widespread destruction. Granby officials decided to display the bulldozer, known as the “Killdozer,” in a makeshift shed at a local impound lot. It became an attraction, drawing curious visitors from around the country who wanted to witness the aftermath of Heemeyer’s act.
- Auction and Sale: In 2005, approximately a year after the incident, the town of Granby decided to auction off the bulldozer. The intention was to remove the controversial piece of machinery from public view and move past the tragic event. The bulldozer was sold to a private individual, and its fate afterward remained uncertain.
- Current Whereabouts: The current location and ownership of Marvin Heemeyer’s bulldozer are not widely known or publicly disclosed. After changing hands in the private auction, the bulldozer seemingly disappeared from the public eye. Speculation suggests that it may be in the possession of a collector, hidden away from public view, or it might have been dismantled for various purposes.
- Legacy and Controversy: While the bulldozer itself may no longer be publicly accessible, the events surrounding the incident and Heemeyer’s motives continue to be the subject of debate and analysis. The story of the “Killdozer” has gained a cult following, with documentaries, books, and discussions examining the social and personal factors that led to Heemeyer’s drastic actions.
The current whereabouts of Marvin Heemeyer’s bulldozer remain a mystery. After being seized and displayed for a period, the bulldozer was eventually sold in a private auction, disappearing from public view. While its physical location is unknown, the impact of the incident and the story of the “Killdozer” continue to captivate public interest, serving as a reminder of the complexities of human emotions and the potential consequences of extreme actions.